- August 31 – GAD Fall Workshop and Advisory Board Meeting at Kennesaw State University, KSU Center
- October 12 – GAD Staff Competition Coordinators’ planning meeting
- October 15 – District Registration Deadline – Test Requests due
- October 31 – Deadline for registration refund
- November 2-10 – Scrimmage Test (Test A)
- January 9-15 – District-level Competition (Test B)
- January 11 – GAD Staff Competition Coordinators’ Planning Session
- January 17 – Deadline – submit Wild Card score sheets
- January 18 – Notification to teams – Wild Card Invitational
- January 28 – All teams competing at state must have Intent to Participate and Preliminary Roster submitted
- January 31 – Hotel Reservations Deadline (earlier deadline this year – rooms and rates cannot be guaranteed after this date)
- February 1 – State Competition Registration Deadline
- February 4-5 – Mandatory login practice with online essay system
- February 6-7 – Online Essay and Art Events for State Competition
- February 22-23 – State Competition (Test C)
- March 8 – GAD Staff Competition Coordinators – Debriefing Meeting
- April 25-27 – USAD National Competition –Bloomington, Minnesota
- May 1 – GAD Honor Cord orders due – links to online store
We are planning now for the 2018-2019 season of PAGE Georgia Academic Decathlon (GAD) and we definitely want your school district to participate. Thanks to PAGE’s support, the registration fee for GAD remains at $200 per school district. (This fee covers: registration with United States Academic Decathlon, official state tests, registration for coaches and the district coordinator for the PAGE GAD Fall Workshop.) Please return your registration form for participation in the 2018-2019 Georgia Academic Decathlon by October 15, 2018. No refund can be given to a school/district withdrawing after October 31, 2018.
CHANGES TO STATE COMPETITION: The 2018-19 state competition will be held at Parkview High School. The facilities at Parkview will enable us to switch to arena Testing, arena Interview and collaborative Super Quiz. The change in format will give the teams who represent Georgia at Nationals an opportunity to mimic the same format that they will experience at Nationals. We are not changing the format of Speech competition. We are very excited about this opportunity to give Georgia teams a better chance to excel at Nationals.
PROMOTIONAL VIDEO: We have produced a promotional video that can be used to recruit coaches, and explain decathlon to administration, parents and prospective decathletes. The video can be found by clicking “Promotional Video” at the beginning of this paragraph or by selecting “About . . . GAD” from the side navigation menu. Additionally, USAD has three videos posted in the footer section of their website which can also be used to promote Academic Decathlon.
GAD FALL WORKSHOP: Our collegiate partner, Kennesaw State University, hosts our Fall Workshop for coaches, coordinators, and decathletes, this year on Friday, August 31, 2018. Kennesaw State University’s KSU Center is located on I-75 north of Atlanta in Cobb County (3333 Busbee Dr NW, Kennesaw – NOT on main campus). We encourage coaches and district-level coordinators to act now and reserve this workshop date so that you can be sure to attend. Sessions will be offered for many of the decathlon events and they will be designed for members of your team to gain information on the topic as well as competition. There is no charge for coaches and district coordinators to attend (it is included in your district registration fee). There is a per decathlete fee of $18. The deadline for online registration is August 22, 2018. No cash can be accepted as payment.
PLEASE NOTE: Information about Academic Decathlon, the curriculum topics for 2018-2019 and how to order curriculum materials can be found on the United States Academic Decathlon website www.usad.org. You are encouraged to check the website often for information and curriculum updates. Click here to see a topical outline of the 2018-2019 curriculum.
TEST REQUEST FORM:The deadline for returning the Test Request Form is October 15, 2018. This year the Test Request Form is to be submitted online. All testing materials will be distributed to district coordinators electronically via Dropbox.
USAD 2018-2019 CURRICULUM: Curriculum outlines and the Study Guide for 2018-2019 are available on the USAD website. The curriculum for 2018-2019 is The 1960s: A Transformational Decade. Please check the USAD website (www.usad.org) for a complete listing of curriculum materials. Curriculum material orders are being filled now if you pre-ordered. If you have not ordered your curriculum materials, you should do so right away. Check the USAD website for information regarding curriculum updates. Check the PAGE GAD website (www.pageinc.org/gad) for information about the PAGE GAD academic year.
ACADEMIC ELECTIVE: Each year a few more schools and school districts are able to offer the Academic Decathlon curriculum through an academic elective course. This is a rich and challenging curriculum that should be made available to a larger group of students than the nine students that typically make up your GAD team. The curriculum theme relating to The 1960s: A Transformational Decade would be a great theme for an independent study class, a guided study, or any number of other possible classes. The USAD curriculum has been coordinated with Common Core Standards.
We are looking forward to working with you during the 2018-2019 academic year. We hope to see all coaches, district-level coordinators, and decathletes at the PAGE GAD Fall Workshop on August 31st. In the meantime, we hope you enjoy a relaxing summer break and that the beginning of school year 2018-2019 is productive and smooth.
Michelle Crawford, State Director
PAGE Georgia Academic Decathlon / PO Box 942270 / Atlanta GA 31141-2270
Direct: 404-414-3041 / Switchboard: 770-216-8555 / Toll-free: 800-334-6861 / firstname.lastname@example.org