2020-2021 Calendar (updated)
- September 18 – GAD Fall Workshop – Virtual (Password to access online presentations will be emailed to registrants.)
- October 9 – GAD Staff Competition Coordinators’ planning meeting
- October 15 – District Registration Deadline – Test Dates Submission due
- November 5-14 – Scrimmage Test (Test A)
- January 6-14 – District-level Competition (Test B)
- January 8 – GAD Staff Competition Coordinators’ Planning Session
- January 21 – Deadline – submit Wild Card score sheets
- January 22 – Notification to teams – Wild Card Invitational
- January 27 – All teams competing at state must have Intent to Participate and Preliminary Roster submitted
- February 3 – State Competition Registration Deadline
- February 4-5 – Mandatory login practice with online essay system
- February 8-9 – Online Essay and Art Events for State Competition
- February 26-27 – State Competition (Test C)
- March 12 – GAD Staff Competition Coordinators – Debriefing Meeting
- April 29-May 1 – USAD Virtual National Competition
- May 5 – GAD Honor Cord orders due – links to online store
2020-21 Season and District Registration Memo
The 2020-2021 season of PAGE Georgia Academic Decathlon is here! Thanks to PAGE’s support, the registration fee for this most unusual season has been waived so that it will be easier for your schools to pay the virtual testing fee of $50 if you choose not to have face-to-face competition for Rounds 1 and/or 2. Please complete the registration process for participation in the 2020-2021 Georgia Academic Decathlon by October 15, 2020. (District registration for season participation consists of the District Registration Form and the Testing Dates Notification Form – both are online forms.)
PROMOTIONAL VIDEO: A few years ago, we produced a promotional video that can be used to recruit coaches, and explain decathlon to administration, parents and prospective decathletes. The video can be found by clicking “Promotional Video” at the beginning of this paragraph or by selecting “About . . . GAD” from the side navigation menu. Additionally, USAD has three videos posted in the footer section of their website which can also be used to promote Academic Decathlon.
GAD FALL WORKSHOP: Our collegiate partner, Kennesaw State University, usually hosts our Fall Workshop for coaches, coordinators, and decathletes. This year we are going virtual! Sessions will be offered for many of the decathlon events and they will be designed for members of your team to gain information on the curriculum topic as well as other aspects of competition. There is no charge for this year’s workshop, but you must register in advance to participate. Registration information will be available soon. Schools who register will be entered in the door prize drawing and will be sent the login information for the workshop sessions. Additionally, coaches and district coordinators will be invited to participate in a live video conference to discuss the many changes for this school year. That meeting is scheduled for September 18 – the same day we were to hold the in person Fall Workshop. Look for your invitation via email.
PLEASE NOTE: Information about Academic Decathlon, the curriculum topics for 2020-2021 and how to order curriculum materials can be found on the United States Academic Decathlon website www.usad.org. You are encouraged to check the website often for information and curriculum updates. Click here to see a topical outline of the 2020-2021 curriculum.
TEST DATES NOTIFICATION FORM:The deadline for returning the Test Dates Notification Form is October 15, 2020. The test form is to be submitted online and should be submitted along with your District Registration Form. All testing materials will be distributed to district coordinators electronically via Dropbox unless you choose the virtual option.
USAD 2020-2021 CURRICULUM: Curriculum outlines and the Study Guide for 2020-2021 are available on the USAD website. The curriculum for 2020-2021 is The Cold War. Please check the USAD website (www.usad.org) for a complete listing of curriculum materials. If you have not ordered your curriculum materials, you should do so right away. Check the USAD website for information regarding curriculum updates. Check the PAGE GAD website (www.pageinc.org/gad) for information about the PAGE GAD academic year.
ACADEMIC ELECTIVE: Each year a few more schools and school districts are able to offer the Academic Decathlon curriculum through an academic elective course. This is a rich and challenging curriculum that should be made available to a larger group of students than the nine students that typically make up your GAD team. This year’s curriculum theme would be a great theme for an independent study class, a guided study, or any number of other possible classes. The USAD curriculum has been coordinated with Common Core Standards.
We are looking forward to working with you during the 2020-2021 academic year. As always, please let us know if you have any questions.
Michelle Crawford, State Director