2019-2020 Tentative Calendar
- August 30 – GAD Fall Workshop and Advisory Board Meeting at Kennesaw State University, KSU Center
- October 4 – GAD Staff Competition Coordinators’ planning meeting
- October 15 – District Registration Deadline – Test Requests due
- October 31 – Deadline for registration refund
- November 1-9 – Scrimmage Test (Test A)
- January 8-16 – District-level Competition (Test B)
- January 10 – GAD Staff Competition Coordinators’ Planning Session
- January 16 – Deadline – submit Wild Card score sheets
- January 17 – Notification to teams – Wild Card Invitational
- January 21 – All teams competing at state must have Intent to Participate and Preliminary Roster submitted
- February 1 – Hotel Reservations Deadline (tentative date – rooms and rates cannot be guaranteed after this date)
- February 1 – State Competition Registration Deadline
- February 3-4 – Mandatory login practice with online essay system
- February 5-6 – Online Essay and Art Events for State Competition
- February 28-29 – State Competition (Test C)
- March 13 – GAD Staff Competition Coordinators – Debriefing Meeting
- April 30-May 2 – USAD National Competition –Anchorage, Alaska
- May 5 – GAD Honor Cord orders due – links to online store
2019-20 Season and District Registration Memo
We are planning now for the 2019-2020 season of PAGE Georgia Academic Decathlon (GAD) and we definitely want your school district to participate. Thanks to PAGE’s support, the registration fee for GAD remains at $200 per school district. (This fee covers: registration with United States Academic Decathlon, official state tests, registration for coaches and other adults for the PAGE GAD Fall Workshop.) Please return your registration form for participation in the 2019-2020 Georgia Academic Decathlon by October 15, 2019. No refund can be given to a school/district withdrawing after October 31, 2019.
PROMOTIONAL VIDEO: We have produced a promotional video that can be used to recruit coaches, and explain decathlon to administration, parents and prospective decathletes. The video can be found by clicking “Promotional Video” at the beginning of this paragraph or by selecting “About . . . GAD” from the side navigation menu. Additionally, USAD has three videos posted in the footer section of their website which can also be used to promote Academic Decathlon.
GAD FALL WORKSHOP: Our collegiate partner, Kennesaw State University, hosts our Fall Workshop for coaches, coordinators, and decathletes, this year on Friday, August 30, 2019. Kennesaw State University’s KSU Center is located on I-75 north of Atlanta in Cobb County (3333 Busbee Dr NW, Kennesaw – NOT on main campus). We encourage coaches and district-level coordinators to act now and reserve this workshop date so that you can be sure to attend. Sessions will be offered for many of the decathlon events and they will be designed for members of your team to gain information on the curriculum topic as well as other aspects of competition. There is no charge for coaches and other adults to attend (it is included in your district registration fee). There is a per decathlete fee of $18. The deadline for online registration is August 21, 2019. No cash can be accepted as payment.
PLEASE NOTE: Information about Academic Decathlon, the curriculum topics for 2019-2020 and how to order curriculum materials can be found on the United States Academic Decathlon website www.usad.org. You are encouraged to check the website often for information and curriculum updates. Click here to see a topical outline of the 2019-2020 curriculum.
TEST REQUEST FORM:The deadline for returning the Test Request Form is October 15, 2019. The Test Request Form is to be submitted online. All testing materials will be distributed to district coordinators electronically via Dropbox.
USAD 2019-2020 CURRICULUM: Curriculum outlines and the Study Guide for 2019-2020 are available on the USAD website. The curriculum for 2019-2020 is In Sickness and in Health: An Exploration of Illness and Wellness. Please check the USAD website (www.usad.org) for a complete listing of curriculum materials. Curriculum material orders are being filled now if you pre-ordered. If you have not ordered your curriculum materials, you should do so right away. Check the USAD website for information regarding curriculum updates. Check the PAGE GAD website (www.pageinc.org/gad) for information about the PAGE GAD academic year.
ACADEMIC ELECTIVE: Each year a few more schools and school districts are able to offer the Academic Decathlon curriculum through an academic elective course. This is a rich and challenging curriculum that should be made available to a larger group of students than the nine students that typically make up your GAD team. This year’s curriculum theme would be a great theme for an independent study class, a guided study, or any number of other possible classes. The USAD curriculum has been coordinated with Common Core Standards.
We are looking forward to working with you during the 2019-2020 academic year. We hope to see all coaches, district-level coordinators, and decathletes at the PAGE GAD Fall Workshop on August 30th. In the meantime, we hope you enjoy a relaxing summer break and that the beginning of school year 2019-2020 is productive and smooth.
Michelle Crawford, State Director