2021-2022 Calendar (tentative)
- September 3 – GAD Fall Workshop – virtual
- October 8 – GAD Staff Competition Coordinators’ planning meeting
- October 15 – Season Registration Deadline
- November 4-13 – Scrimmage Test (Round 1)
- January 7-18 – District-level Competition (Round 2)
- January 14 – GAD Staff Competition Coordinators’ Planning Session
- January 19 – Deadline – submit Wild Card score sheets
- January 20 – Notification to teams – Wild Card Invitational
- January 26 – All teams competing at state must have Roster submitted
- February 4 – State Competition Registration Deadline
- February 3-4 – Mandatory login practice with online system
- February 7-8 – Online Essay and Art Events for State Competition
- February 25-26 – State Competition (Round 3)
- March 11 – GAD Staff Competition Coordinators – Debriefing Meeting
- April 21-23 – USAD National Competition in Pittsburgh PA (Round 4)
- May 5 – GAD Honor Cord orders due – links to online store
2021-22 Season Registration Memo
The 2021-2022 season of PAGE Georgia Academic Decathlon is here and we want your school to participate! Thanks to PAGE’s support, the registration fee remains at only $200 per district. Please complete and return the pdf REGISTRATION FORM for participation in the 2021-2022 Georgia Academic Decathlon by October 15. No refund can be given to a school/district withdrawing after October 31. (Save the registration form to your computer, fill out the pdf form, save again and then attach to an email to send.)
PROMOTIONAL VIDEO: A few years ago, we produced a promotional video that can be used to recruit coaches, and explain decathlon to administration, parents and prospective decathletes. The video can be found by clicking “Promotional Video” at the beginning of this paragraph or by selecting “About . . . GAD” from the side navigation menu. Additionally, USAD has three videos posted in the footer section of their website which can also be used to promote Academic Decathlon.
GAD FALL WORKSHOP: Our collegiate partner, Kennesaw State University, usually hosts our Fall Workshop for coaches, coordinators, and decathletes. This year we are once again going virtual! Sessions will be offered for many of the decathlon events and they will be designed for members of your team to gain information on the curriculum topic as well as other aspects of competition. There is no charge for this year’s workshop, but you must register by noon on August 30th. Schools who register will be entered in the door prize drawing and will be sent the Zoom links for the workshop sessions.
PLEASE NOTE: Information about Academic Decathlon, the curriculum topics for 2021-2022 and how to order curriculum materials can be found on the United States Academic Decathlon website www.usad.org. You are encouraged to check the website often for information and curriculum updates. Click here to see a topical outline of the 2021-2022 curriculum.
USAD 2021-2022 CURRICULUM: Curriculum outlines and the Study Guide for 2021-2022 are available on the USAD website. The curriculum for 2021-2022 is Water: A Most Essential Resource. Please check the USAD website (www.usad.org) for a complete listing of curriculum materials. If you have not ordered your curriculum materials, you should do so right away. Check the USAD website for information regarding curriculum updates. Check the PAGE GAD website (www.pageinc.org/gad) for information about the PAGE GAD academic year.
ACADEMIC ELECTIVE: Each year a few more schools and school districts are able to offer the Academic Decathlon curriculum through an academic elective course. This is a rich and challenging curriculum that should be made available to a larger group of students than the nine students that typically make up your GAD team. This year’s curriculum theme would be a great theme for an independent study class, a guided study, or any number of other possible classes. The USAD curriculum has been coordinated with Common Core Standards.
We are looking forward to working with you during the 2021-2022 academic year. We hope to see all coaches, district-level coordinators, and decathletes virtually at the Fall Workshop on September 3rd. As always, please let me know if you have any questions.
Michelle Crawford, State Director