ATTENTION USAD PARTICIPANTS:
The U.S. Academic Decathlon® is excited to announce that the overall curricular theme for 2019-2020 will be In Sickness and in Health: An Exploration of Illness and Wellness. Following is some general information on the topics in each of the subject areas.
- SCIENCE: The science topic will be an introduction to the biology of cancer.
- LITERATURE: The literature curriculum will include critical reading, one long work of literature, and selected shorter works. The long work of literature will be the 1818 version of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.
- ART: The art curriculum will include a section on art fundamentals and will largely focus on an exploration of illness and wellness in art.
- MUSIC: The music curriculum will introduce students to various musical works from across the centuries that will allow them to examine the role of mortality in Western art music.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE: The social science curriculum will introduce students to the history of healthcare.
- ECONOMICS: The economics curriculum will cover fundamental economic concepts, microeconomics, and macroeconomics and will also include a thematic section on health economics.
- MATHEMATICS: The mathematics curriculum will cover algebra and trigonometry.*
The full subject area outlines will be posted on the U.S. Academic Decathlon® website on May 1 and will also be published in the U.S. Academic Decathlon® Study Guide, which will begin shipping on May 15.
*Note: The 2019-20 mathematics curriculum and materials will be the same as were used for the 2016-17 U.S. Academic Decathlon®.
This section’s title is a link which will direct you to the USAD website for valuable information about the program.
This section’s title is a link which will direct you to the USAD website for the most current Calculator Policy.
For a current list of curriculum updates, visit the curriculum section of the USAD website. http://usad.org/.
Scroll down to the bottom of the page, click on “Student Resources” and click on “Curriculum Updates.”
(You may be required to log in to view this information. Please contact USAD if you need login information.)
Practice Test Information
For information on ordering Practice Test materials, go to the USAD website http://usad.org/. Scroll down to the bottom and click on “Materials Brochure.” Here you will find all of the different materials that are available from USAD, how much they cost, and how to order them.
Reminder: Practice Tests and other study materials are ordered directly from USAD and not through GAD.