Following are lists of projects and fundraising ideas that your chapter can plan throughout the year. Please let us know if you come up with some other ideas. These lists are just to help you “get the ball rolling!”
Teacher Appreciation Ideas
- Hold monthly drawings for appreciation gifts (fruit baskets, “teacher goodies,” free car wash, etc.)
- Birthday cards
- Christmas and other occasion cards
- Inspirational & candy cards
- Volunteer to help with classroom bulletin boards
- Make up a “Teacher Stress Kit”
- Provide assistance in classroom when possible
- Promote teaching and teachers on a special FGE Bulletin Board
- Host a special event (breakfast, e.g.)
Other School-Related Activities
- Tutoring (peer and elementary)
- Teacher aide
- Teacher Shadow Days
- FGE Scholarship program (offer scholarships to graduating seniors)
- Education Forums (invite various speakers to FGE meetings: student teachers, local school system Teacher of the Year, local school superintendent and board members, etc.)
- Feature articles in school newspaper (highlight different teachers, invite teachers to contribute articles on “Why I Love to Teach”)
- Book drive for local library
- Provide service for shut-ins (yard raking, grocery shopping, etc.)
- Food drives for local shelters (or blankets, coats, etc.)
- Adopt-a-family at Christmas
- Contact DFACS or other government agency for suggestions for helping those in need
- Develop and keep a club scrapbook or web site. Display at PTA meetings and other events.
- Keep an FGE Bulletin Board and update monthly.
- Utilize school newspaper, morning announcements, etc.
- Have several poster campaigns throughout the year.
- Make a group picture for the school yearbook.
- FGE floats for homecoming, Christmas parades, etc.
- Share your club’s activities with the local newspaper, radio stations, etc.
Note: Always obtain approval from school administration for fundraisers.
- “Kiss a pig” contest or similar event in conjunction with pep rally
- Plan a special event and sell tickets:
- Teachers vs. Seniors basketball game
- Talent show
- White Elephant/garage sale
- Car Wash/Yard Raking
- Collect recyclable items
- “Battle of the Bells” favorite teacher contest
- Carnation/Candy-gram sales (Valentine’s Day)
- Bake sales, stationery sales, etc.
- Accept contributions from local business partner